Tuesday 3 January 2017

The 5 Seconds Of Summer Experience

The fab 4
Hello Everyone :)
(If you haven't read about my experience at Wembley Arena leading up to the concert, then I suggest you read that one first here - also the show I went to was the 12th of June 2015)

WOW OH WOW
I think this is the most excited (and nervous - I don't know why ok?!) I've been to write a blog post ever ;)
Just to give an overview, 5 Seconds of Summer are the most incredible performers and you can tell that they give 110% into all that they're doing and that is so refreshing to see, despite them having performed these same songs night after night.

Firstly I would just like to start by saying that 5 Seconds of Summer create such an amazing and hyped up atmosphere before the show has even started with the songs that they play in the arena. With songs such as Back in Black by AC/DC, Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley and The Final Countdown by Europe, it helped to build up all of the excitement that every single person was feeling in that one place.

The support act "Hey Violet" weren't really to my taste, but I will give it to them, they got the crowd going and extra excited for 5SOS. I think they're just not for me - but each to their own :)

AND THEN IT WAS TIME

As soon as the lights went out and the countdown began, the arena erupted into a sea of screams and excited faces (me being one of them). Countdowns at concerts always add to anticipation - after waiting 337 days for this concert, we're now down to the final 60 seconds and nothing else matters in this moment apart from this.
And then that first guitar strum was heard and I've never heard screams like it.... And then the first drum beat was heard...... And then Ashton appeared..... And then the other boys did too..... And then fireworks and pyro started going off left right and centre..... And then they started playing End Up Here and everyone lost their chill.....
The first few songs were full of energy (such as the oldies but goodies Out Of My Limit and Heartbreak Girl), and the 5SOS lads' enthusiasm completely matched the crowds' - we built each other up and it was a beautiful thing to watch!
Then came the new song "Permanent Vacation", and I swear in that moment I had never been so hyped up. During this song 5SOS like to split the crowd into 3 different sections to get the chants and claps going. My side was Michael's section, with him calling us "my babies - my children", the middle section was Luke's and the other side was Calum's. Together, we were one mighty noisy beast.

Little Lukey
After a few more songs came Long Way Home, which is one of my personal favourites from the album. For this song Luke came forward to the little bit of stage that comes out - and the other boys were in complete darkness, it was little Lukey's time to shine! Here, he got the crowd to help him sing the opening of the song, which he then stopped singing and just let the crowd sing. And the look on Luke's face was so special, he looked so proud of the crowd for helping him out.

Rejects comes next, and if you are familiar with how a 5 Seconds Of Summer show goes, you will know that this is the part of the show where they bring a fan up on stage to play guitar. So someone from the floor section was chosen and she took Michael's guitar and began strumming. She claimed it was meant to be "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi but I would have to disagree haha! Although it was very entertaining and made me extremely jealous when she got a sweaty hug from all of the boys :(

Then after my all time favourite 5SOS song (Heartache On The Bug Screen) came the emotional section.... This section included Wrapped Around Your Finger, Amnesia, Beside You and Everything I Didn't Say.
The first time I ever listened to Wrapped Around Your Finger it was raining heavily outside, I was laying on the floor and then this song started playing. And I just started crying out of nowhere, and ever since that day this song has been one of my favourites and I always hoped that they would add it to the setlist AND THEY DID! This song was probably the one I was most looking forward to hearing live because of the emotion it has, and the guitar in it is so incredible. When doing it live, there are also a few note changes (my personal favourite coming from Luke) which add to the hype of this song, and also Michael's guitar solo is one you must pay attention to!
The muscles *insert heart eyes emoji*
Amnesia was also one of the songs I was most looking forward to hearing live because I feel like it sounds so much better live. I find that I can't even listen to the studio version of it because it just doesn't live up to the live version and I'm left disappointed (but I do love the song!). During this song, the crowd typically put the lights on on their phones and hold them up in the air and it creates the most amazing atmosphere. The crowd were also insanely loud at this show so they sang the lyrics back wholeheartedly! They kept stopping singing to just listen to us sing their lyrics back to them. It must be the most insane feeling.
And the harmonies in Beside you and Everything I Didn't Say were enough to make my whole body feel like jelly. Also Calum's bass solo in the beginning of Everything I Didn't Say was the most adorable thing because he just looked and sounded so vulnerable.

Also, Pizza happened....... That is all.

The 5SOS lads also did an awesome cover of Green Day's American Idiot. It really shows off all of their musical talents individually, with drum, bass and guitar solos. I don't think I've ever seen a crowd as excited as they were during this song.
Next was Kiss Me Kiss Me which is a song that I was never too keen on from the album (I know, shoot me). But hearing it live has completely changed my opinion of the song, I can easily listen and enjoy it now and that is the power that hearing a song live has! Just before the breakdown of the song, or as Michael described it "We're about to go full metal on your ass", Michael also told the crowd to jump and go crazy, and asked "can you do that?". But with me being crippled for this concert, I screamed back "NOOOO" and I recorded it and it makes me laugh every time haha!

Then came She Looks So Perfect, which they tried to make out was their last song, and some people did believe this as they attempted to leave but then they came back out aha!
This song is always a goodun live because it's the one that everyone knows and everyone gets involved with, and it's just a great environment.

Encore time!
Good Girls came first and it was just as energetic as if it was the first song that they had performed of the night - that being extremely energetic!
Finally, the song that everyone had been waiting for was performed which was What I Like About You. Honestly, this song is the most lively song I have ever seen live! Everyone just went crazy and partied like there was no tomorrow.
The final bow :(
Then it was time to come home :(
And everything sounded like it was underwater and I couldn't talk just over a whisper as I had sung/screamed so much, but that is when you know that you had a great time ;)

Michael doing his thing
And here are just a few added extra details for you all; this show was filmed for their DVD which added to everyone's excitement as we all wanted it to be the best show possible (even though Calum still forgot the lyrics to Don't Stop...).
Niall from One Direction was at this show too, but I found this out when I got home, and he was stood like directly under where I was sat, but it still made me happy because he loves 5SOS and they love him - it's a beautiful friendship!
At one point in the show, Ashton asked everyone to hold up their banners and "art" as he called it. So I lifted my knee/leg into the air and waved it around because my surgeon did a damn good job on sorting my ACL out and I wanted them to know hahaha, I am so weird.
Finally, at so many points during the show Michael would look out into the crowd with so much love and awe in his eyes that it made me feel so proud of him. It was almost like he couldn't quite believe that this was his life, and that made me feel really happy because we (the fans) had put him on that stage and had made him feel that way. It just makes me feel good :)

So I had one of the best nights and it was all thanks to the lovely lads that are 5 Seconds Of Summer. They just put so much effort into each song and it makes everyone in the crowd so pumped and ready for the next song.
This is my experience of my 4th 5SOS show, you can leave me a comment about your experience of seeing 5SOS, or if you're going to see them soon leave me a comment of when your date is, I would love to hear from you :)
Stay positive and keep on being you x

No comments:

Post a Comment